Working at Dezan Shira & Associates is about growth. That means developing skills, making a difference, and achieving goals to help colleagues and clients reach new heights.
Editorial and Research, Asia Briefing
Location: China, Shanghai
Function: Asia Briefing Editorial
About the job
Dezan Shira & Associates (DSA) is a specialist foreign direct investment practice with a pan-Asia presence. The firm has grown into one of Asia's most versatile full-service consultancies with over 25 offices in China, Vietnam, Singapore, Indonesia, India, and across the world.
Editorial Associates work within the firm’s Asia Briefing (AB) Editorial & Research team to write, edit, and publish business intelligence targeted for foreign investors with planned or existing operations in emerging Asia. AB publishes business news and analysis, including articles and magazines covering legal, tax, and operational advisory for its audiences of international corporate investors interested in China, Vietnam, ASEAN Countries, and India.
We are currently recruiting an editor in our China Briefing publication team, which provides a leading source of China business news and analysis. This role combines aspects of journalism, business consulting, and legal/taxation services to produce client reports and public-facing print products with an emphasis on the practical side of doing business in Asia. We are interested in meeting candidates that would like to apply themselves in an entrepreneurial environment preferably in Shanghai.
Research and scanning
- Monitor business, industry, economic, and financial news in Asian markets, primarily for China;
- Develop, maintain, and update AB datasets and Asiapedia resources;
- Attend lectures and events relevant to the business community;
- Cultivate a network of sources for information on key industries and regions.
Content and publications management
- Develop content schedule;
- Create, pitch, and develop content ideas for AB content network, primarily for China;
- Draft and edit articles independently to a high professional standard for online publications like magazine and business guides.
- Develop magazine and guide schedule in coordination with regional marketing and sales teams and managing editor on a quarterly basis;
- Execute magazine and guide production to deadline and work with stakeholders.
- Collaborate with design, digital marketing, and web development for publications;
- Work proactively with local marketing, business intelligence, and service managers to ensure that content meets service requirements.
Preferred qualifications and skills:
- Native level English; Other languages may be an asset.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Educational background in business, law, economic, region, or political studies; A background in tax may be an asset;
- Two years of experience in formal research, editorial work, and international business issues;
- Ability to produce professional research on complex issues and developments;
- Ability to work independently in a deadline-driven environment;
- Experience working with a content management system like Wordpress;
- Demonstrable interest and understanding of China and its regulatory or business environment;
- Interest in leading a well-known business publication in China;
- Interest in working with a multinational corporation;
- Current resident of Shanghai; May consider Guangzhou or Beijing.
Editors typically conduct research, write at least two articles a week, and develop regional and thematic specializations. The position is an ideal opportunity for individuals that would like to work in a positive, constructive, and supportive environment.
DSA is committed to maintaining a diverse work environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, or age. DSA is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Applications should include a cover letter that does not exceed 300 words (please indicate dates of availability and salary expectations) and a CV that does not exceed two pages. Shortlisted candidates will be asked to provide a writing sample and complete a short writing exercise.
If you are interested in this position, please login and apply below or write to firstname.lastname@example.org