Working at Dezan Shira & Associates is about growth. That means developing skills, making a difference, and achieving goals to help colleagues and clients reach new heights.
Associate – Chinese Outbound Investment
Location: China, Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Guangzhou
Function: International Business Advisory
This position requires the position to develop relationships with Chinese investors and match them with investment opportunities and be closely involved with team members and company partners in the execution of the investment projects into foreign markets.
Dezan Shira & Associates (DSA below) is a consulting company that has helped many foreign companies invest in China and SE Asia over the last 28 years. In recent years, it has grown substantially in the Indian and ASEAN markets. The company has also developed a strong partner network in other parts of the globe, particularly in North America and Europe.
Now DSA would like to leverage its presence in China, capabilities in other Asian countries, and its network around the world to help Chinese companies invest overseas. The person chosen to take this position would spearhead the effort to find and cultivate relationships with Chinese investors seeking to invest abroad and continue to support the making of investments.
Therefore, the role would entail development of a Chinese-language, content-based marketing platform for the company and use by clients, focused on providing important information Chinese companies would need when identifying potential investments overseas. The sources of this content would come directly from DSA teams and partners in key target markets.
A key aspect of the position would involve building relationships with Chinese investors and decision-makers at Chinese companies looking to make overseas investments, as well as various organizations that facilitate such trade and investment. DSA would look to the position to identify and cultivate additional channels for development of this kind of business.
At the second stage, the position would coordinate to provide more specific information to interested companies about the investment environment in markets of particular interest. This would require direct coordination in English or other foreign languages with colleagues within DSA or at partner firms globally. As projects develop, the position would be expected to play an important role during project implementation, helping overcome language / cultural barriers and effectively managing the expectations of all parties involved.
The position reports into the partners of the company. It would require close collaboration and management of relationships with multiple stakeholders within DSA and a wide variety of partner firms and advisors externally. These external partners and advisors would include investment advisors, M&A brokers, attorneys, due diligence experts, and others.
The position presents substantial opportunities for growth in the event that projects can be secured and a track-record developed. It is recognized that the initial period before clients are on boarded would require the employee to work creatively and proactively with many other people within and outside of DSA to develop an attractive proposition for Chinese companies with ambitions to expand overseas.
Principal Responsibilities: (Essential Functions)
- Development and subsequent enhancement of a content-based marketing platform
- Replication / adaptation of the DSA’s existing English / French / German / Italian / Spanish language content marketing platforms to Chinese language in a way that would be easily accessible to a Chinese audience and potential investors;
- Coordinating with DSA employees and partners to make decisions on content that would be relevant to an audience of executives at Chinese companies, and subsequent production of said content;
- Oversight of translation of content into Chinese (simplified Putonghua) to ensure work is of a standard high enough to be taken seriously by senior decision-makers;
- Passion and personal commitment to learn and develop greater and greater expertise and knowledge of cross-border investment advisory, M&A advisory, and the needs and preferences of Chinese investors.
- Write articles and make webinars to supplement material that is provided by other sources.
- Development of relationships with Chinese investors and decision-makers at Chinese companies and influencers at organizations that work with these decision-makers
- Identify and approach decision-makers at Chinese companies or individual Chinese investors to generate business opportunities, supported by senior colleagues based in China that have been working in the FDI field for many years;
- Attend events, make speeches and generally represent DSA in China at forums that are directed towards outbound investment from China;
- Coordinate conversion of opportunities into clients
- Play the coordination role during the stages of initial discussion and proposal development, through to signing of agreement for implementation of an overseas investment project;
- Maintain involvement in investment and project execution, and, depending on the nature of projects and composition of advisors on projects, the position may drive projects forward during the implementation phase with support from technical advisors and partners;
- Look after a portfolio of client accounts for which the investor or headquarters is based in China. For these investors or accounts:
- Be the main point of contact for new business requests, cross-selling opportunities and coordinate to resolve any problems that the client feels are arising;
- Implement an annual strategic review of each client account to see what additional opportunities may exist and / or identify threats that are appearing;
- Maintain periodic contact with the investor or main decision-makers as well as the key DSA and partners contact points;
- Work closely with technical staff to lead the development of a marketing platform and develop and build a related data-base of concluded (fully open) and proposed (partially open) investments and/or M&A projects for selected countries to attract a captive audience to the site on a regular basis:
- Develop and maintain a platform of concluded investment projects or M&A projects and new opportunities in the market aimed at potential investors/subscribers;
- Develop, maintain and grow a Chinese subscribers data-base;
- Develop, maintain and grow a partners/subscribers data-base;
- Fluency in Chinese, Vietnamese and English.;
- Prior record of successful dealing with senior Chinese investors and/or corporate decision makers, or strong evidence of the same.
- An understanding of Overseas Direct Investment issues as they relate to Asian countries and the US and European market;
- Professional or on-the-job training in cross-border investments and/or M&A advisory is desirable, as is a background in finance, accounting, tax, or law.
- Strong personal interest and commitment to develop professional expertise and knowledge of cross-border investments and M&A advisory through personal study, team training and development, and attending selected professional training；
- High level of professionalism and client-centric approach
- Be flexible enough to adapt to working under tight deadlines and periodically to high levels of stress;
- Be energetic and willing to travel nationally and internationally as required by the job;
- Highly reliable and accurate and detail oriented; with effective problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated experience working with professional advisors and internal and external stakeholders to close sales and complete work, preferably including highly sophisticated transactions
- Beijing / Shanghai / Shenzhen / Guangzhou
If you have interest in this position, please kindly send your update resume in Chinese, Vietnamese and English to email@example.com. Looking forward to your joining!