Our collection of resources based on what we have learned on the ground

Given the recent changes to visa regulations in China in 2014, what are the official work visas in China?


Both the R and Z-visas are official work visas. For the time being, the Z-visa is the most common type used by foreigners working in China, and will likely remain so, considering the stricter requirements and remaining uncertainty regarding the R-visa. An employee on a Z-visa needs to subsequently apply for a residence permit. The residence permit allows the foreigner to stay in China for the length of time as stipulated by the permit, usually one year. It also allows him/her an unlimited number of trips into and out of the country. With an M-visa (or the previous F-visa) this is not possible, and leaving the country often means having to reapply for a new visa.

Return to search



Type of resource


Related Resources

Subscribe to receive latest insights directly to your inbox

Subscribe Now