Associate, Data Journalism and Analysis
Location: Other Regions, Dalian, Shanghai, Ho Chi Minh City, Mumbai
Function: Asia Briefing Editorial
Dezan Shira & Associates (DSA) is a specialist foreign direct investment practice with a pan-Asia presence. The firm has grown into one of Asia's most versatile full-service consultancies with over 25 offices in China, Vietnam, Singapore, Indonesia, India, and across the world.
DSA primarily provides legal, tax, and operational advisory to international corporate investors. The firm publishes business news and analysis through its subsidiary Asia Briefing (AB), which produces articles and magazines for China, Vietnam, ASEAN, and India.
We are currently recruiting an associate to build and grow a new data journalism and analysis function within the firm. We are interested in meeting candidates that would like to apply themselves in an entrepreneurial environment in Dalian, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Ho Chi Minh City, or Mumbai.
The Associate will assume the following roles:
Asia Briefing reporting
- Monitor business and economic news across Asia
- Create, pitch, and develop quantitative content ideas for AB publication network
- Draft data stories for publication on China, Vietnam, ASEAN, and India platforms
- Assist with data analysis and visualization for quarterly magazines and guides
- Spot-check data work done by other members of the team
- Develop and communicate best practices for data reporting
Dezan Shira & Associates reporting
- Support web development and digital marketing with website performance analysis
- Support management team with key insights on market and industry performance
- Develop, maintain, and update Asiapedia business resource function
- Develop, maintain, and update datasets for dual use by business intelligence function
- Contribute towards data analysis and visualization for client-specific projects
- Develop and communicate best practices for data management and policies
Preferred qualifications and skills:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A bachelor's degree in a relevant field
- A solid understanding of data analysis tools, including database management systems, statistics software, Microsoft Excel, etc.
- Experience working on data projects and/or statistical analysis in academic, research, journalism, or professional services environment
- Experience parsing, scraping, and managing data
- Data visualization skillset, with basic software understanding of Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, Adobe After Effects, as well as Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to produce professional reporting on complex issues and developments
- Ability to work independently in a deadline-driven environment
The primary function of the associate will be to produce at least two data stories a week for publications, while supporting the business intelligence team with actionable datasets and presentations. The position is an ideal opportunity for individuals that would like to work in a positive, constructive, and supportive environment.
DSA is committed to creating a diverse work environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, or age. DSA is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
If you are interested in this position, please login and apply below. Applications should include a cover letter that does not exceed 300 words (please indicate office preference and dates of availability) and a CV that does not exceed two pages. For further questions, please contact email@example.com